Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 30 - Not a Morning Person

Four mornings a week I wake up at 5:50am so I can throw some clothes on and take my boys to school. They have to be there by 6:15am for zero period. Big fun. My husband used to wake up at 5:00am to go for a jog. I can barely function at that hour. I can get up, get dressed, and drive, but please don't try and have a conversation with me; I may, or may not be able to speak. Any physical activity beyond stepping on a gas pedal and turning a steering wheel, is out of the question. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm driving in my sleep or I'm dangerously groggy, it's just that interaction with others is a luxury I don't have the energy for, until at least 8 or 9:00.
Though sometimes people will say "Ah, you'll get used to it!" Um no. I won't. I do what I have to do, but I still hate waking up early. And really I don't want to sleep until noon or anything, I just want a little time to process the whole "morning" thing:  get a cup of coffee, and maybe warm up my body a bit, before running out the door. No such luck.
All this to say that exercising has got to be done, at least for me, when I'm fully awake and ready. To those people that are able to get up, jump in the shower and go for a 10 mile bike ride at the crack of dawn, more power to you! But if you are like me, not a morning person, and too busy later in the day, sometimes you have to find some time in the middle of the day. Like I've said before, squeeze it in when you can. It's worth it.

Yesterday I took a little break, but today I walked my dog and went for a long bike ride. I grabbed a little time in between  the laundry, dishes and cleaning the bathroom. Works for me. What works for you?

Caren E. Salas

beautiful sunrise (sadly I wasn't there, he he)


photo by William Salas

No comments:

Post a Comment