Friday, March 2, 2012

Day 32 - Well, You're Getting Older...

Recently, I injured my knee. It felt like it took forever to start feeling better so I asked my doctor about it. She answered, "Well, you are getting older, your body may not be able to heal as fast as it used to." Really not what I wanted to hear.  I mentioned to another doctor that I had gained some weight, to which she answered, "Well, you are getting older, and if you gain weight, it gets harder to lose it, not like when you were young." Ouch.  I find it humorous that two different doctors not only told me the same thing basically, but both felt the need to remind me: you are getting older. Really? Dang. Just when I was starting to believe I could live forever! Kill joys these doctors are, I'm telling you. "If you don't have anything nice to say..." then you must be a doctor.
Haha, just kidding, sort of. (I offer an at least half-hearted apology to any of you who are doctors.)
My point is, that I have found a sort of comfort in the whole idea of things taking longer because I'm getting older. I've been tracking my progress and thinking, darn it! I expected some results by now!! I've lost...oooh, two pounds after a month of trying to eat right and exercise. My goal is ten, total. Just to get to where I was...well, not that long ago. I refuse to believe the other thing I've been told which is: you get to a certain age and then you put on weight, can't do anything about it.  Wanna' bet?
All this to say that when I have an unproductive day, in regards to my "quest for health" I've decided that I need to be a little more patient with myself.  I need to look at what I have achieved so far, and see that as inspiration to keep going. After all, I'm getting older, I can't be wasting time worrying about whether I'm doing it perfectly or rapidly, and just do it.
Besides, tomorrow will be a better day.

Caren E. Salas

Me in college: actress, dancer...full of energy.

Thanks to Robin Harrison for the photo,
 and California State University Dominguez Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment