Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 7 - Incentive

It's Sunday, and my mother-in-law's birthday. Most of the day was spent getting ready to go, traveling there and spending time there.  She looked much better than the last few times I've seen her. She recently had been suffering with shingles, and it really took a toll. My father-in-law, having led a difficult life working as a longshoreman, and various other very physical occupations, has become weak, and seems to be in pain most of the time. Some people complain about their in-laws, but I have to say, I really do love them, and it's hard to see them struggling with so much now.
The reason I bring this up is that if ever there is an incentive for me to try and stay healthy as long as possible, this is it. Having the disadvantage of a chronic disease to begin with, I know I can't just take my health for granted. If I start, (or keep) making excuses why I can't exercise, the adverse effects of age will be I'm sure, increased and happen sooner than I'd like. Clearly, no one lives forever, so I want to feel as good as I can, for as long as I can.  No more excuses or procrastination for me.

It's time to, as they say on the Nike ads:   "Just do it."

Caren E. Salas

No comments:

Post a Comment