Monday, October 24, 2011

#13 Halloween...

When I was growing up, my mom always believed in making holidays fun. She had decorations for everything from Christmas to Ground Hog Day. She'd even gave us little gifts if she could. I've always tried to follow in her cheery footsteps and although I'm not sure I'm quite up to par, I'm proud to say I have an extensive collection of holiday decor. 

Case in point: Halloween. I have an embarrassing amount of costumes. Having had a background in theater, I learned never to throw away an interesting item of clothing, because it could be used later as a costume piece.  My husband jumped right on the band wagon and has perfected outdoor lighting for any occasion.  We have spiders, and skulls and gravestones...which will be, of course, packed away the day after Halloween to make room for the Thanksgiving stuff, and then Christmas. We want to make each holiday last more than a day.  We want to be like kids and look forward to each one. The funny thing is, the older I get, the more I enjoy the time getting ready for each holiday, because it's not the day I love, it's the season.

So...Halloween is right around the corner. My house is decorated, I'm getting my costume together, planning our party, and looking forward to seeing countless children knocking on my door for candy, dressed up like monsters and princesses. And that...brings a smile to my face.

Caren E. Salas


Picture taken at the "Old Town Music Hall" in El Segundo, CA. If you are in the area, check it out. They play old (like black and white old) and have a real Wurlitzer organ! It's a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment