Monday, March 23, 2020

COVID-19, An Account, March 22, 2020

Today, Mayor Garcetti announced the shut down of Los Angeles, I think including all of LA county too. Parks and beaches are closed, at least until April 19. Moving around away from home is limited to necessities. He even said there would be fines and possible jail time for offenders. Wow. Things have really become serious.  What next? Martial Law?
A very sweet friend of mine mentioned that he had seen another friend who seemed offended that he didn't want to hug her in greeting.  He offered a hip bump, but that didn't seem enough.  The sad thing is that when you love someone, and this is difficult some times, you shouldn't expect them to always act the way you want them to, especially with what's going on. You should respect their feelings (or need) to follow the rules. Being on that high risk list myself, I'm not about to take a chance.
I recently read a first hand account of what this disease does to you, and it's horrifying. It's definitely NOT like catching an ordinary flu. As miserable as the flu might make you feel, this sounds a hundred times worse. It attacks your lungs and for days, or even weeks you could feel like you are suffocating. Then there's the high temperature in addition.  I'll pass, thank you...not that I'd have a choice. Yes, you might have the milder version, but you don't always know if someone you care about has a condition and might be way more susceptible to the more serious effects. There are many chronic diseases that are "invisible", meaning there are no visible symptoms that signal a person has it. So for now everyone needs to assume that someone in their circle of family and friends might be on that high risk list.
Getting back to the subject of hugs, I do miss those...so much. I'm spoiled I guess. The majority of my family and friends hug every time we see each other. We're a huggy group. I have a huge family and lots of theater friends among others. I also have two beautiful grandsons whom I'm afraid will grow up too much while we're apart. Still, I don't want to infect them or be infected, so I have to wait for awhile.  Waiting sucks, for everyone, but getting this thing...COVID-19, sucks more.  So I'll wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment