Sunday, March 29, 2020

COVIC-19 An Account, March 29, 2020


A couple of days ago the death count in the United States, was about 1000.  Now it's over 2000. I heard on the news, an idea that there should be a Universal DNR for COVID-19 victims. Excuse me? Not that I believe that something like that could actually happen (although nothing really surprises me anymore)but  just the thought that there are those who think that way at all makes me frightened. What has happened to humankind?  There are people putting such a low cost on life, as though it can be given a dollar value, or even be considered a time saving entity.  Oh, I understand, that in cases of major catastophe or war, decisions must be made sometimes, on who will live or die. A constant state of triage sometimes results in necessary loses. However, to just put out a blanket ruling that says that those with the virus suddenly are worth less than anyone else is unethical at the very least, Not only that but it puts a huge responsibility on the doctors, who's promise is to "do no harm".  The doctors and nurses don't want people to die, or be forced to make those decisions. Sadly, like I mentioned earlier, some feel that a strong economy is worth the sacrifice of the grandparents and other elderly citizens.  Maybe those with underlying conditions (as though life hasn't been difficult enough for us), need to be willing to give their lives for the better good of the country.  As they call us in "The Man in the High Castle" (Amazon series) we are "worthless eaters", but wait, they were Nazis that said that.  Hmm, interesting. I pray that that's not the direction our country is moving, but I see more and more each day telling me otherwise.  Sometimes hard times bring people together, sometimes whole countries are divided. Will we become the "Divided States"? 
Time will tell. I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment