Sunday, April 19, 2020

COVID-19 An Account April 19,2020

It’s 2:00am and as usual I’m having a difficult time sleeping. I feel like if I’m not completely exhausted I’ll just toss and turn all night.
The last time I wrote, the death toll was around 26,000. Now only a few days later it’s up around 34,000. Still there are people understating the facts. They say things like there are this many people who die of lung cancer every year and we don’t shut everything down; and this many people drown in pool accidents etc. but most of the things they talk about are not brand new highly contagious viruses with no known treatment or cure. Apples to bulldogs, right? Now there are protesters who say their rights are being violated and the state governments have no right to compel people to stay at home. I understand. Had this happened 30 years ago, I would have had an incredibly difficult time. At that point I was living paycheck to paycheck and barely that. Losing my job would have been devastating.  I currently have a lot of friends who are really struggling. The government has approved $1200.00 to every citizen to help, but for many that won’t go very far. I understand people wanting to go back to work and begin getting a paycheck again, but not being careful in the process could have horrible consequences. I feel like it will extend the effects of the virus even longer. The protesters don’t understand that the countries that have fared better were extremely strict with their “stay at home” orders. I saw a documentary where the police in China were literally welding doors shut of people who violated the orders. Victims of COVID19 were being forcibly dragged away to be quarantined.  Here in the USA, we don’t do that sort of thing. People would be up in arms! We do have freedom, but some are not being smart about social distancing or even wearing masks. The whole thing will be prolonged if we're not adamant.
There are also those who figure a certain amount of casualties is acceptable, but um, NO! No one should die for someone else’s convenience.  It's hard for everyone. We need to remember our  humanity. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment