Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pushing it...

Today, I swam 28 laps. I pushed it up by 2 laps from yesterday. My original plan was to try and go every day adding two laps every week. Well, considering I lost a week because of well, life getting in the way, I felt a little discouraged. When I started up again, I kept thinking, I could do a few less laps. It would be understandable if I back-tracked a little. The thing is I just couldn't bring myself to, once again, backslide into that world of "Well, maybe tomorrow; maybe next week...maybe...next year..."  So despite not having a car (long story) and having to walk what I'm guessing is about 1/2 mile to the gym and then back after, I have continued to stick with my goals. This week I should have been to 28 laps. Next week I go to 30 and then 32 which, by the way, is a 1/2 mile. Really. Believe me, I did the math. Oh, okay, I used the converter on my cell phone, but I figured it out anyway.  You know, part of me just wants to be able to say "Yeeeaaah, I swim a half a mile every morning. No big deal..." Of course, I pray no one I know actually sees me swimming  as I gasp for breath every time I get to one end of the pool or another, haha.  I'm telling you, the breathing thing has been the hardest part. My arms and legs know exactly what to do. my lungs and heart...maybe not so much. I'm getting there though. I find that I get more laps done in less time. I'm not trying to race or anything; I guess I'm just getting more at ease with it. Each day I feel a little bit better, or at least closer to where I was before things got crazy (last week). So I just have to keep going. Two laps forward - NO laps back!! That's what I'm talkin' about.


Caren E. Salas






photo: William Salas

No comments:

Post a Comment