Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Side Effects

Normally those words make me cringe a little. Considering that half the meds I take are to counteract the side effects from the other meds I'm taking, can you blame me? In this case however I'm talking about another kind of side effect: the good kind. You know, when you do something and expect a certain result and hey...you get a bonus! That's how I've been feeling. Yes, I'm still swimming, every day! I'm so proud of myself. Honestly I figured I'd be sore and tired and it would just feel like one more activity to wear me out. I wanted to do it because I'm embarrassingly out of shape, and for the most part get no cardio-type exercise in my everyday life. I figured I'd do it a couple of days a week, and just get through it. Now that I'm going all the time, I find it almost addictive. I look forward to going the next day. I think about how to challenge myself a little more every time I go.
Here's the cool part. Instead of being more tired all the time, I have more energy during the day. I feel energized! It's awesome. Oh, I know that's what they tell you will happen and all, but they say a lot of other things too. To be healthy you have to do this! You have to do that! I guess there are some people who react well to negative reinforcement: people yelling at them, calling them names, trying to make them feel like a wimp for not being able to do 800 sit-ups. I've never been one of those people. I can put myself down well enough, thank you. I'm not running around saying "I'm in perfect shape, great health, and I don't even have to try." Hardly. What I want, is for someone to say "You can do this. It'll be hard, but you can do this. And just because you miss a day because you had to pick up a sick kid from school, or do some other unexpected errand, does not mean you have failed. You just have to get right back up and go the next day." Now someone does say that....me.

This, will not be happening, haha.
Today is a better day.


Caren E. Salas



photo: blog.helphub.com.au

2 comments:

  1. If only I had your self-motivation. I keep promising myself to get to it.... Tomorrow:P. but everyday I make a new excuse why it's not today. Great on you for getting over that hurdle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh believe me, it's been an uphill climb. I had a gym membership for years and I would only go 2 or 3 times a year. Then for two years not at all. It's about frickin' time, huh? lol You'll get there. One day, you'll just say, that's it. I'm doing this, and then proceed to put it off another year or two like me, haha. Hope you do better. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete