Thursday, June 16, 2016

I Need a Little Summer...Now



I woke up this morning in a panic, thinking, oh no! We must have slept in! The whole bedroom was bright, and the sun was practically blinding! I looked up at the clock. 5:20. Ugh! Nope, we didn't sleep in. It took me a few minutes to realize that I couldn't remember the last time the sun was shining first thing in the morning. No overcast skies? Whaaaat?
Today just happened to be the last day of school for my daughter. So I'm kinda' wondering...can it be summer now? I know technically summer starts on June 20 - the Summer Solstice and all that, but come on.  I need a little summer...like, now. And for all my theater friends and those of you who have at least seen the musical, "Mame".....sing it with me, won't you?

Haul out the chaise lounge,
Put on your shades before the fog rolls in again
Fill up the beach ball
I may be rushing things, but get your hula skirt now!

For I need a little summer, ♫
'Cause this year's been a bummer, ♪
Hats and shorts and tank tops,
Bathing suits and flip flops,
Oh we need a little summer,
'Cause this year's been a bummer, ♪
It hardly rained at all this year,
So since the weather's been so clear,
Lets get out the beach towels,
Fill up the ice chest full of, lots of snacks and beer,
Slice up the melon,♫
It's time we pulled the ukulele out and sang "Wow!"
For I've grown a little weary,
Grown a little colder,
Grown a little fatter,
Grown a little older,
And I need a little sunscreen, ♪
Right here on my shoulder,
I need a little Summer now!!!! ♪


Caren E. Salas

No comments:

Post a Comment