Wednesday, February 18, 2015

And Now for Something Completely Different

Wow, it's been about 6 months since I last posted on this blog. Sadly, it's probably been about that long since I've gone to the gym. In my defense, there were lots of reasons for that. I worked a bit for The Living Christmas Company in November and December. Then, in January I caught a cold; then I was in a car accident; then I caught the flu (I ducked, but it still hit me) which in turn, turned into Bronchitis. In the middle of that I was convinced by my friend Jane, to audition for a play: Oliver. She called one night, saying she was going the next night, and that I should come and audition too. I had 24 hours to get a resume typed and printed, a head shot and a song prepared. Somehow I did it. My husband, Bill cheered me on as well. "Just have fun." Everyone was saying.
Well, I ended up getting cast in the "Adult Ensemble" which really means I have no particular part, but I sing and dance in the chorus numbers. What that means to me is "Oh my gosh, I'm going to perform on a stage for the first time in..." I can't even remember how long it's been. What it means now is SO MUCH FUN!  I am loving it so much, I can't even begin to describe it.  I feel like me again. Don't get me wrong, I love being a mom, and I wouldn't trade my life and my kids for all of Broadway and the Big Time. With my kids being pretty much grown now though, I can get out and do more. It's been so great to go back to this wonderful life that I've missed for so long.
So while I may not be swimming a mile, or working out at the gym, I am getting my exercise. The set has a bridge that goes up one side and down the other. Somehow, the choreography is such that I end up running up and down those stairs over and over throughout the play. Who needs a stair-master?
The only downside is that I have been feeling really tired. That comes with the MS of course, but the occasional late nights have taken a tole. Still, it's all been worth it. Seriously. And as long as I can do this, I really want to do as many of these plays as I can. I know I'll be able to work out a good resting schedule, it's all just been sort of new for me. Well, not "new" but different for my current situation. I'm not the 20-something college student anymore. (Side note: for those who don't know me personally, I have a degree in Theater Arts and was intensely active in Theater when I was diagnosed with MS at 23, and spent a year in and out of a wheelchair. I tried to do some work after that, when I was feeling better, but feared the stress and activity would cause a relapse. At that time there was no drug therapy, and there is still no cure.)
Currently, I have a high school student to take to school early in the morning, my other kids coming and going, my husband to pay attention to, meals to prepare, a house to take care of, as well as many other things to do throughout the days. Boy, and I thought I was busy back then, lol.
So forgive me for not writing sooner, as you can see I've been a teeny bit busy. Hopefully I'll have lots to tell you though, as my theater and life adventures continue.


Caren E. Salas



The Rose Center Theater, Westminster, CA





2 comments:

  1. So happy to read that you got back on the stage! I have a love of the theatre (was a few credits shy of a theatre major back in college) and was it in Westminster CA? I grew up in Fullerton and spent quite a while in Westminster during 1987-94 (marriage #1). Keep kicking MS's ass, babe!

    ReplyDelete